Ep 052: ‘In praise of walking’ with Prof. Shane O’Mara
Welcome to episode 52, which has a real focus on wellbeing: sleep, walking and working hours.
Richard and Pilar explore feedback from our listeners, Richard shares his recent conference experiences and then we have Richard’s interview with Prof. Shane O’Mara from Trinity College Dublin.
Have you ever wondered whether you should be walking more? The answer is probably yes! And here, Shane skilfully explains the health benefits of building a walking habit, as well as considering how our built environments can better support walking over driving.
(Maybe you could go for a walk while listening to this episode…?)
Big thanks to Shane for his time – you can find a link to his profile below, as well as one to his latest book.
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- The IIBN Annual Conference: https://www.iibn.com/events/iibn-annual-conference-2019
- The StandUp Foundation: http://www.standupfoundation-uk.org/
- Scientists know how sleep cleans toxins from the brain: https://www.wired.com/story/scientists-now-know-how-sleep-cleans-toxins-from-the-brain/#
- City traders want shorter working hours: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50323972
- Psychological Flexibility training courses: https://www.worklifepsych.com/psychologicalflexibility
- Wellbeing Essentials training courses: https://www.worklifepsych.com/solutions/wellbeing/wellbeing-courses/#wellbeing-essentials
- Prof. Shane O’Mara: https://www.tcd.ie/Neuroscience/partners/PI%20Profiles/Shane_OMara2.php
- ‘In Praise of Walking’ https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1847925014/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_Zg65Db83W57K9
- Date December 4, 2019
- Tags Wellbeing