Ep 086: Cultivating new habits!
Welcome to episode 86, which sees the long-awaited return of Pilar and a focus on habits. They represent a snapshot of our values in action and can be used to help us make valued changes in our behaviour. We discuss some of the pitfalls to avoid and some of the ways we can cultivate helpful habits.
We can derail our personal development initiatives with goals that are too stretching or demanding, by starting with the unattainable and by a focus on goals that excludes what we’ll do once we reach that goal. Focusing on sustainable habits, and the systems and processes for life they facilitate, means we’re less likely to overreach and more likely to take some helpful action. Even if, as BJ Fogg writes, it’s in the form of a ‘tiny’ habit.
Thanks for listening!
- Trusted coach directory blog post on workplace wellbeing: https://trustedcoachdirectory.com/four-mistakes-to-avoid-when-it-comes-to-workplace-wellbeing/
- ’Tiny Habits’ by BJ Fogg: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tiny-Habits-Changes-Change-Everything/dp/0753553244/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=tiny+habits&qid=1619614569&sr=8-1
- ‘Atomic Habits’ by James Clear: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Atomic-Habits-Proven-Build-Break-ebookhttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Atomic-Habits-Proven-Build-Break/dp/1847941842/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1619614569&sr=8-2-spons
- ‘Productive’ habit-tracking app: https://productiveapp.io
- Habitica habit-tracking app: https://habitica.com/static/home
- Our episode about analogue productivity and the Bullet Journal methodology: https://www.worklifepsych.com/podcast/ep-047-analogue-in-a-digital-world/
- Date April 29, 2021
- Tags Effectiveness